So yesterday we talked about race and technology and someone asked why we were focusing on that for a specific session and not any number of other issues. I like to consider these two issues as my proverbial “wheelhouse” as an academic so I thought I should probably speak up to this community about the issue. Here is a short list of reasons and part of a larger post I just can't seem to get published. Stupid series of tubes.
1) The stakes are higher for people of color dealing with technology in front of other people.
2) New media, like literacy, can be used as a form of violence.
3) Scholars can learn from semiotic systems other than print based that are closer to the rhetoric structure of new media.
4) Identity is information and behaves like information in digital systems.
5) New Media doesn’t do us any good if it just replicates unjust power structures and is continued to be used to dehumanize folks.