Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Morning Session

OK, I have been slacking here but I am a) tired, seriously and b) it has been HOT. It cooled down some today but now I'm all geared up to go out and make a new media piece. This morning, lots of stuff was about assessment. I think cheryl does a much better job of describing that discussion than I could. I am not so gracious, such things are mind numbingly postmodernly simple: Grades = Values structure of group. Group = class. Value/writing/media are socially constructed therefore grades = what the group thinks is good. Build a tool to measure what value looks/sounds/feels like to you AND your students. Make sure it works and do it with them. There is no stable idea of good work. Ever. About anything. Act like it. Grade like it.

Instructors think they are the lone arbiter of taste is how oppression and exclusion happen.

"Break president" - Victor Villanueva

4 comments:

Julie Platt said...

"Instructors think they are the lone arbiter of taste is how oppression and exclusion happen."

Nowhere is this more clear than in the comments of some of the people in a certain rhetoric seminar that shall remain nameless. Teacher-centered pedagogies abound!

*gags*

Douglas Walls, PhD said...

That will not do.

John said...

I am heartened that someone is not only acknowledging it, but attempting to sort it out and find a better way. Now THAT'S "change".

Phill said...

ah, yes, that discussion sent me off on a rantzilla, too. :)

I know of another rhetoric seminar professor who shall also remain nameless who has the same problem.

I just don't get it, really. What is so hard about understanding that we have to consider the student as we grade? :)