Saturday, May 31, 2008

Workshop Saturday

Finished or came close to finishing our video products in iMovie. In the morning we had a discussion about Lost and Found Sound: Manicurists and sound composition. The story is pretty well done and has a lot of emotional impact and folks got that. I am, perhaps, a little more critical of such things being the child of an immigrant myself. It was my second time through the piece and all I hear are the silences about American colonialism and constructed Others For example, Communist Vietnam banning songs is horrible, and it is, but California banning non-English instruction in schools, which is horrible, isn't mentioned or the folksy way we are to assume that immigrants all just pick up professions when they come here. Audio, it seems, works well in connecting people emotionally but also plays well when it relies on cultural narratives, or at least has to work with them, irony aside.

Oh sure, I'm trashing it a little. Ok a lot. And it is really well done, but being critical of these things is kind of my job and I like my job.

For the record, my mom is an english-only education advocate despite the public ridicule and the crippling difficulties she has with reading in english and speaking in spanish (which she only does when she is mad or praying, guess which one I heard more) as a result of those policies. We argue about it all the time.

No comments: